A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Crytek, makers of Far Cry, raided for illegal software...

Crytek, makers of Far Cry, raided for illegal software...

following a tip-off from a former employee regarding pirated software, Crytek - the makers of the impressive looking game, Far Cry - was raided for illegal software.

guess the ex-employee was just a wee bit disgruntled.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

6 figure range, ouch. MAYA unlimited did the damages I presume, max is a little less hefty.

Originally posted by fospher.com
    6 figure range, ouch. MAYA unlimited did the damages I presume, max is a little less hefty.
    Where did you find the fines levied per application? I was looking but couldnt see it..

This has to be rampant among small developers.

They can't afford to compete with EA.

yeah, but you'd think that since they're making it for UBISoft, they'd have a substantial backing.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

right, ubisoft is massive, and most of the games produced these days are produced by 'small' developers and distributed by people like EA, but the cost of the software needed to develop these games must be massive, as indicated by the fine I suppose, still, that's no excuse.

it did make me go and download the demo of their game, at 500megs it's pretty hefty so hopefully it'll be good.

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    suppose it dosent matter what trade your in, the big boys still want more for less, and I suppose thats where some players actually get tempted to cut corners and use illegal software so they can lower prices to gain contracts, a sad state to be in but very common in every trade.

and as stated still not an excuse.
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

yeah, I'm sure ubisoft won't be liable for any of the damages and because the game is so close to being finished (demo looks 99%) then they'll be willing to shore up the company to get the game out the door, I'm sure there's a clause in their contract covering liabilities in an event like this.

I remember ZDTV doing a report on piracy a while back where they reported that Alias Wavefront knows exactly how many pirate copies are installed and whos using them but the prosocution costs are just too much.
    Personally, I wouldnt mind getting my software in the hands of anybody willing to learn it. A loyal fan base can only increase sales in the long run wether it's by freakers going legit or by making purchase recomendations at what ever company hired them. BTW, said company probably wouldnt have hired said freaker without him being able 'aquire' the software to teach himself at home. More likely, said freaker would be a skilless drain on society.
    Last edited by jAQUAN; 02-05-2004 at 03:47 PM.

Originally posted by jAQUAN
    BTW, said company probably wouldnt have hired said freaker without him being able 'aquire' the software to teach himself at home.
    This is eactly why MM gives you a 'home' and 'office' license with each product.

and Maya and Softimage have FREE personal learning editions without time limits to learn on. Its what we use to train some of our interns with a knack for 3d...