A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Arena Guidlines. Make An Adjustment!

Talking Arena Guidelines. Make An Adjustment!

I love watching tennis , battles, wars.. whatever you call them BUT!

You contestants need to adjust your topics!

I understand some people may be doing photoshop or photography wars on "FLASH"Kit... that's fine but please state that..

These forums for some reason are very slow to load at times and sometimes don't show up due to a timeout. I guess from so many users...

So in the topic please state what kind of war it is FIRST then the players second and that's all!

Example:

FLASH War: Echks vs Sever
    or
    Photoshop Graphic War: YoMomma Vs YoPops
    or
    PhotographyWar: Jekyll Vs Hyde..

for tennis:

FLASHTENNIS: Jack and Mr Furley
    PHOTOSHOPTENNIS: Ginger and The Skipper

Another thing:
    When a war/tennis has commenced posts should not flood to more then 5 responses and NO war piece from either individual. The first pieces should be the work from both contestants. Nothing more annoying then searching through pages to find out the submissions are on page 17 of 50 when they should be the 1st 2nd or 3rd reply.

Request a war topics:
    if you want a FLASH war say FLASH War request from: your name
    if you want a FLASH Tennis event say : FLASH Tennis request from: your name.

Another thing that should be added is places that host your work for those who dont have hosting spaces we can link directly too. I see alot of broken links! not good.

I hope my post is good! Now go Adjust!

-Line
    Last edited by LineDetail; 11-07-2002 at 02:13 PM.
    My Company | My News
    3D: Maya 4.5
    2D: Photoshop 7.0
    Video: Premiere 6.0 | After Effects 5.5
    Animation: FLASH MX
    Web Design: Dreamweaver MX
    Photo: Canon Powershot G2
    DV: Canon XL1s
    Workstation: 2.4 Ghz P4 2048 MB RAM DVD Burner CD Burner 22" Monitor 128 MB GeForce 4 Ti 4600 SoundBlaster Audigy
    Laptop: 2.2 Ghz P4 1024 MB RAM DVD/CD Burn Drive 15.7" LCD screen 64 MB ATI Radeon 7500

take a look. there's been flash animation/actionscripting battles here... or at least requested. pixel art, et al... care to start a new trend?

I'm all for it. I mean, think about it... this place is simply called "The Arena"... that denotes competition in whatever you fancy if you can find an opponent.

The initial posts... in some threads, I agree. Too conversational; however, in some cases, the rules need to be set, or better yet, some people build the anticipation of whom you will be going against.

Nothing like a crowd of spectators... would you want to get rid of that?

Stating what type of thread it is... well, I think the guidelines should stand... it's understood to be Photoshop, but other variants are normally specified. Makes sense to me.

my 2 cents

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Señor member

Re: Arena Guidelines. Make An Adjustment!

Originally posted by LineDetail
    I love watching tennis , battles, wars.. whatever you call them BUT!

You contestants need to adjust your topics!

I understand some people may be doing photoshop or photography wars on "FLASH"Kit... that's fine but please state that..

These forums for some reason are very slow to load at times and sometimes don't show up due to a timeout. I guess from so many users...
    We're waiting to get the new server up and running, it's being sorted so the speed should certainly improve soon

So in the topic please state what kind of war it is FIRST then the players second and that's all!

Example:

FLASH War: Echks vs Sever
    or
    Photoshop Graphic War: YoMomma Vs YoPops
    or
    PhotographyWar: Jekyll Vs Hyde..

for tennis:

FLASHTENNIS: Jack and Mr Furley
    PHOTOSHOPTENNIS: Ginger and The Skipper
    The moderators, ie. Me, Gerbs and Aversion change the titles as and when a member accepts a match or a team match etc. I personally tend to leave whatever the member has typed as the title (after all, it's their thread) and simply add the names of the contestants to the end of it so they recognise their thread when they come back to the forum.

We could label them Flash/Photo/Graphics etc but to be honest, nearly every battle is a photoshop/graphics battle rather than flash so I'm not sure it's necessary to do it like that as it comes back to my earlier point of immediately recognising your thread when you browse the forum, if 90% of the threads start PHOTOSHOP: then it's going to be that bit more irritating (certainly for me when I surf anyway) when you have to scan more to find your thread.

Another thing:
    When a war/tennis has commenced posts should not flood to more then 5 responses and NO war piece from either individual. The first pieces should be the work from both contestants. Nothing more annoying then searching through pages to find out the submissions are on page 17 of 50 when they should be the 1st 2nd or 3rd reply.
    I agree on this one, I think all individual threads should ideally start with a serve image and then someone can decide to take on the battle. I can't imagine any will go unanswered. Team matches are a little different where there needs to be a little more organisation first but definitely I'd rather see a service in the first post.

Request a war topics:
    if you want a FLASH war say FLASH War request from: your name
    if you want a FLASH Tennis event say : FLASH Tennis request from: your name.
    See earlier answer about leaving post titles.

Another thing that should be added is places that host your work for those who dont have hosting spaces we can link directly too. I see alot of broken links! not good.
    People mostly host their volleys themselves and do housekeeping on their server space (I do on mine) and delete images from tennis matches as they often take up a lot of space. The boards offer the facility to upload an image below your post. As volleys shouldn't be more than 100k in size, everyone can use this option and they don't need to host their own images.

I hope my post is good! Now go Adjust!

-Line
    Cheers.
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

FK's Helper Monkey!

Re: Re: Arena Guidelines. Make An Adjustment!

Originally posted by jamble7000
    As volleys shouldn't be more than 100k in size, everyone can use this option and they don't need to host their own images.
    I haven't had one under 100k yet.

Re: Re: Re: Arena Guidelines. Make An Adjustment!

Originally posted by 88webmonkey88
    I haven't had one under 100k yet.

get optimizing

seriously, i find nearly no noticable difference between many pictures whether they are 100% or 60% quality, not too hard to get them small most of the time.

Señor member
    I usually go for save for web and then set them to 65% which most of the time generates an image under 100k which is good enough quality
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand