A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flash Battle :: Transitions

Exclamation Flash Battle :: Transitions

Since the name of this site is dedicated to Macromedia Flash, I thought a Flash battle might be a consideration for some of you. I'd love to get into some sweet Flash battles, I've got plenty of ideas, but we'll see how this goes.

Transitions The idea for this one is to use your Flash skills to transition from one stage to another. At the end, we'll put all our movies together, for one long movie of transitions. For simplicity's sake, the intermediate stages will simply be a solid color. Your job is to take the previous stage(a solid color, so no need to hand FLA's around, or make one huge FLA file) and transition the stage to another solid color, using whatever methods you want. You can do any level of animation in between, including some level of interaction, or whatever your creativity begs you to do.

At this point, I'm open to help with the rules, but some of the things we would need to decide before hand:
    - Limit to transition length(in seconds)
    - How many different stages we use
    Should we keep the transitions shorter, with many of them(my preference) or allow for long transitional animations and not as many of them?
    [EDIT]See below for rules[/EDIT]

I would love to hear people's feedback about this. I really would like to get this going on.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, here's an unofficial serve. Transition white > black
    http://abeall.com/battle/Transitions/transitions.htm

Someone would then pick it up, make the stage go from black and transform it to another color. Use your imagination.

[EDIT]

important! setup
    - Stage size: 800x600 (note: you can fake a smaller stage size if you want)
    - Framerate: 30fps
    - Publish version: 6 (if you have a good reason you want this to be v7, let me know, and I'll tell you why you're wrong )
    rules
    - Max length: 10 seconds minus interaction(lenient, but aim for this range)
    - Max filesize: 20-25kb(honestly, the goal of this is not meant to be lightweight, but explorative. So although we are on a web-based medium and should keep filesize in mind, do not break your back over it)
    - Do not repeat a color, or a color too similar. However we will end with white.
    instructions
    Your SWF should be stand-alone, I will string them together when we are done. You can post a link to your SWF here, or email it directly to me(PM for email). I will post the end results here. Simply setup your movie(as described above), set your background color to the previous vollies end color, and have at it. To mark the end of your transition, put:
    nextTransition();

[EDIT]
    Vollies
    1 - flashl!ght - white(#FFFFFF) -> black(#000000)
    2 - admedia - black(#000000) -> purple(#583A70)
    3 - Dricciotti - purple(#583A70) -> red (#A20909)
    4 - jAQUAN(guest) - red(#A10000) -> blue(#0000A1)
    5 - flashl!ght - blue(#0000A1) -> orange(#FF6600)
    6 - admedia - orange(#FF6600) -> brown(#80543A)
    7 - Dricciotti - brown(#80543A) -> green(#66CC00)
    8 - adamcronhill(guest) - green(#66CC00) -> pink!(#F9318F)
    9 - flashl!ght - pink(#F9318F) -> yellow(#FFFF00)
    10 - admedia - yellow(#FFFF00) -> orange-ish(#CC6600)
    11 - Dricciotti - orange-ish(#CC6600) -> white(#FFFFFF)
    [loop]
    Last edited by >flashl!ght<; 08-25-2005 at 09:13 PM.
    >flashl!ght<
    All the normal names were taken.
    Ron Paul was right.

I like the idea flashlight and I think you would have a nice end product when this is done. If nobody takes this up by the time I return to being an active member of flashkit (another week or two maybe) I will take you up on this; but I encourage someone else to step in.

If you dont mind delaying the start, Ill take you up on this because I really want to start doing flash battles. Sound good? We should also figure out rules.

Cool Idea.

Were you thinking open battle where everyone can contribute a little sumpthin?
    I wouldn't mind throwing in a transition. It wouldn't be that hard either to end on something other than a solid color... I could just take a screengrab of the final frame and edit from there, but keeping it simple is good too.

Transition max length 10 seconds (is that too long)?
    Maybe a max weight of 20kb?
    Probably need some pixel dimension guidelines to keep the aspect ratio uniform.

Just some thoughts for all.

We could do a 3 way battle. I was thinking that we could use images to transition between just to make it more interesting. We could use stock images or maybe pull some off of one of the battles we have had in the arena. I think 10 seconds is fine because that will let us get away from simple transitions and get into some really crazy stuff. A file size limit would be good though.

If you want to keep this an open battle, I could make up something so that each of us submit a swf with our transition in it and then another file links them together nicely.

Just some more ideas
    I am liking this idea a lot

How about this:
    Let's three(or if anyone else wants to jump in real quick) crank something out, really fast. We'll stick with the solid color handoffs(part of the reason to use solid colors as opposed to something more complex, is the transitions becomes the life. For all I care, you can use images in your transition, I bet I will at some point, but the simplicity of it will easier drive us to creativity, I think). We can always try to get more complicated later on(I would love to), but I'm eager to see how this works. I think if we use solid colors for the in-between stages, we can make something smooth but cool, and in relatively good time. Consider this maybe a warm up, to see how the idea works out... I don't want to try and start something, make it too involved, only to have it fizzled because it's just too deep to get through smoothly. But if we start out with a simple scope, we can go deeper - at a later time - easier. And hopefully spark the interest of other Flashers out there. The truth is Flash is an inherently much more complicated medium that static image, so let's not get in over our heads.

Rules coming...
    >flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.

<------- cool with that.

I'll wait for your rules and final serve, unless you want to use the serve in the first post.

I'll volley off of it ASAP if that is alright with Dricotti seeing as I think he has a couple days before he is back online Flashing.
    Last edited by admedia; 08-06-2005 at 04:02 PM.

That said, I'm ready to officially call this started. Dricciotti, you may throw in a volley as soon as you want, then admedia if you are up for it[edit]Since dricciotti is out, and admedia is in, go for it ad - yes, we'll use the original serve[/edit], then we cycle through. 3 cycles(input on this number appreciated). See if we can take no more than a day or so per volley.

See first post for rules

Let's go
    Last edited by >flashl!ght<; 08-13-2005 at 09:17 PM.
    >flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.

Ok. Here is my transition.

Black -> #583A70

I hope it is set up ok for you. I wasn't sure about the nextTransition(); code. My movie plays on the main timeline, stops, then finishes on a child movie so I simply put

stop();
    nextTranstion();

on the last Frame of the child movie. Is that ok you think?

Admedia, i'm not much of a flash designer, so i possibly shouldn't be commenting ont your transistion. I like everything you did, except for the eyes...other than that, it's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly
    I like everything you did, except for the eyes...
    Yea, you are probably right... something else probably would have been better there.
    Eyes are kinda cliche I guess ... and it could have been better executed.

Oh well.... hopefully I will get my fair ups again in this competition to show improvement.

Cool. Dricciotti, we are awaiting.
    >flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dricciotti
    (another week or two maybe)
    Think you can hold out >flashlight<?

That was 6 days ago... so I'm hoping I can. I think this battle would really lend itself to more than 2 players(again, if someone else lurking wants to jump in, now's your chance!). Can you wait that long? So long as you're still around by then.

And yes, you did it exactly right with the nextTranstion() script.

Thanks man
    >flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.

Quote Originally Posted by >flashl!ght<
    Can you wait that long? So long as you're still around by then.
    Yea, I would like this thing to fly though...
    i want another turn!

this type of battle lends itself to fast turnarounds...
    and many transitions...
    i say the more the better.

anyone want to jump in?

I'm game. who's turn is it?

I agree admedia, we need speed and plenty of it.

cougrhky20 -
    Awesome. Go for it. Your turn
    >flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.

Quote Originally Posted by >flashl!ght<
    cougrhky20 -
    Awesome. Go for it. Your turn
    Cool, and make it snappy!

maybe we can have another go round too >flashl!ght< before Dricotti gets back.

am I getting ahead of myself here?

> maybe we can have another go round too >flashl!ght< before Dricotti gets back.
    I'm thinking yes.
    I'm possibly even thinking giving Dricotti a rain check for this match. If this goes well I'm up for another match, which would start when he gets back.

And yes, cougrhky20, please make haste
    >flashl!ght<
    Ron Paul was right.

Aight I'll have mine done in a couple of hours.